The holidays in the mountains, owing to the temperatures of the hot in recent years, and a general widening of the tourist offer and represent an option more and more appreciated by couples, families or groups of friends, in search of the right balance between relaxation and emotions.
Italy, with the Alps that separate it from the rest of Europe and the apennine mountains that run from North to South, it offers several interesting destinations where you can spend holidays in the mountains are able to satisfy any need and desire.
Here are the best places for summer in the mountains 2019 in Italy, including advice on what to see and where to stay:
- Dobbiaco, Trentino-alto adige: holidays for the true mountain
- Chiavenna, Lombardy: for those who love the mountains and kitchen
- Cervinia, Aosta Valley: for athletes
- Abetone, Tuscany, for lovers of spa and relaxation
- The Natural park of the Gran Sasso, Abruzzo: eco-holiday
1 – Toblach, Trentino
One of the best destinations where you can spend thesummer in the mountains is Dobbiaco, a picturesque village known as the gateway to the Dolomites located in the upper Val Pusteria, in the Italian Tyrol.
Dobbiaco together with Sesto, San Candido, Villabassa and Braies is part of the area of the Tre Cime di Lavaredo, a unesco World Heritage of the Humanity by the Unesco and enjoy the summer holidays in this area means having the opportunity to spend endless days immersed in a natural context and landscape.
During a break in Dobbiaco you can discover the enchanting landscapes of the Dolomites on trails of all difficulties. In addition to the more challenging trails like the one that leads along the ancient Via Crucis of the Tyrol , or to the Mountain Floor where you can see the open-air Museum of the First World War, there are walks designed for families such as the path that leads to the Magical World of the Forest, where was built a playground, a teaching, or those which lead to the sources of the River or along the Lake of Dobbiaco.
- Where to sleep in Dobbiaco: the Hotel Dolomiten, a modern hotel, where the four-legged friends are welcome, or the Romantik Hotel Santer, a refined hotel that offers a spa, a heated pool, a solarium, different saunas, and a restaurant where you can taste local and international dishes.
2 – Chiavenna, Lombardia
If to thesummer of 2019 you want to enjoy holidays in the mountains, a great destination is Chiavenna in the province of Sondrio, near the Swiss border.
This ancient town has been awarded the Orange Flag of the Touring Club, an award that is given to countries that distinguish themselves for their environmental heritage, cultural and historical heritage and for the quality of the welcome.
In the summer you can enjoy the beauty of the historic centre of Chiavenna and its succession of elegant palaces and picturesque squares, and then you can explore the wonderful nature that surrounds it.
Among the paths to be missed for lovers of trekking there are the one that reaches the Passo dello Spluga which, especially in the stretch of the cardinello gorge offers breathtaking views, and the Via line of the Carden which winds through tiny hamlets, composed of picturesque wooden huts.
After so much expenditure of energy, the council is to treat yourself to some dinner in the famous “crotti” , where you can taste alpine cheeses, cold cuts, and the inevitable pizzoccheri chiavennaschi.
- Where to sleep in Chiavenna: Crimea Hotel, a comfortable hotel located close to the Crotti and overlooking the Park Pratogiano, or B&B Palazzo Giani, an elegant accommodation located in the centre of the town.
3 – Cervinia, Valle d’aosta
Another of the best destinations where you can spend the summer holidays in the mountains, with a fabulous Cervinia, in the Aosta Valley.
In the summer, Cervinia maintains its glamorous atmosphere and is one of the few places where you can ski even in the hottest months, indulged in some adrenaline-filled off-season along the glacier del Plateau Rosa. Because of the high summer temperatures, and higher is however recommended to verify the opening times of the slopes.
This town also offers many walks, hiking trails and mountain bike trails perfect to enjoy breathtaking views on the surrounding nature.
- Where to stay in Cervinia: Hotel Edelweiss is a comfortable hotel in the city centre and offers free sauna, Turkish bath and a restaurant with fixed menu or a la carte or Hotel Hermitage Relais & Châteaux, a beautiful property surrounded by greenery, with a solarium area and spa are carried out with exclusive La Prairie treatments.
4 – Abetone, Tuscany
If you want to spend the summer of 2019 in the mountains is not necessary to reach the Alps in the North of Italy, but you can also opt for interesting destinations along the Apennines, such as theAbetone, a renowned holiday resort a few kilometers from Pistoia, in Tuscany.
During the summer at Abetone you can enjoy unforgettable walks immersed in the quiet, lush and unspoilt nature, discovering the jewels that dot this area as theBotanical Garden Forest, where you can admire species of plants typical of this area, the charming Black Lake whose waters, dark reflections, or the most charming Lake Flat.
- Where to sleep in Abetone: Hotel Bellavista, located in a historic building in the centre of the country offers a sun terrace with panoramic views, or the Val di Luce Spa and Resort, a recently built hotel features a fully equipped wellness area and immersed in greenery, on the border with Emilia-Romagna.
5 – the Natural Park of the Gran Sasso, Abruzzo
Another interesting option for those who want to spend holidays in the mountains is to treat yourself to a real full immersion in nature, discovering, and sleeping in the Natural Park of the Gran Sasso in Abruzzo.
In this natural oasis, with its extension of more than 141 thousand acres represents the third largest park in Italy, they live 1,000 of the chamois of the Apennines, hundreds of deer and several pairs of golden eagles.
The discovery of the Natural Park of the Gran Sasso can be done safely by following the various routes on foot, mountain bike or horse riding through its most evocative places, such as the Gole del Salinello, the prairie high share of Field Emperor, the Waterfall of the Boats and the dozens of medieval villages dotted around.