Who is looking for a fall trip worthy of note, will be in New York the ideal destination. The city of new york, you know, has so much to offer in every period of the year, with exhibitions in prestigious museums of international renown, the festival and everything else.
And the fall season is no different. During the period from September to November, the Big Apple is teeming with events for every taste. You can dive into the terrifying atmosphere of Halloween, including pumpkins lit and parades invade almost every neighborhood of the city. Stroll through streets and parks to the discovery of the colors of autumn, or offer an unexpected view of the city from the water. What do you think?
- Central Park, between the magic of foliage
- The New York Film Festival
- The Brooklyn Bridge Park on Jane’s Carousel
- The Feast of San Gennaro in Little Italy
- The Great Jack O Lantern Blaze
- Open House New York, the weekend of architecture
- New York city marathon
- Village Halloween Party
- Macy’s Thanksgiving Parade
- On the Hudson river in a kayak
1 – on foot or by bike, among the foliage of Central Park
Tells you something Autumn in New York? If you still remember the magical atmosphere of the film with Richard Gere and Wynona Rider is because l’autumn in new york knows how to be a truly unforgettable season. In fact, temperatures are still mild and you can take the opportunity to go for long walks – or perhaps rent a bike in bike-sharing – and venture into the immense Central Park. The oasis of new york which is located in the centre of Manhattan and stretches for well – 3,41 km2, is in fact one of the best places to admire the autumn colors and the magic of the foliage.
- Useful information: view the extension of the park, we recommend you to start from the Conservatory Water, at the entrance between Fifth Avenue and 72nd street. From here, you can opt for two different paths: one directly to the Bow Bridge – the tips the most photographed people in the park that is located on an artificial lake – passing through the famous tree-lined Mall, with more than 150 elm american, and the Bethesda Terrace, and is renowned for its fountain. Alternatively you can venture in the intricate streets of The Ramble, the “wild garden” of Central Park, to reach the Belvedere Castle and the Turtle Pond, pond inhabited by several species of turtles.
2 – The New York Film Festival
For lovers of the seventh art and the New York Film Festival is among the most important appointments of the year. Established in 1963, 57 editions, brings to Lincoln Center the most important films of the world.
The most anticipated movie that opens the festival is The Irish Man Martin Scorsese. But the calendar of 17 days is really full of events, with more than 70 screenings, including new films, retrospectives, documentaries and short films. Among the italians, will be screened Martin Eden by Pietro Marcello – adaptation “naples” of the novel of Jack London, already in competition at the Venice 76 – Santiago Nanni Moretti, and The Traitor by Marco Bellocchio.
- Where: The Film Society of Lincoln Center, 165 West 65th Street, 4th Floor, New York 10023.
- When: 27 September – 13 October 2019.
- Useful information: the official website
3 – On a carousel of horses at the Brooklyn Bridge Park
If you are travelling with children or you just want to return the small for a few hours, head to the Brooklyn Bridge Park. The park is 85 acres that is located in Brooklyn, on the side of the East River, is home to some of the year, the Jane’s Carousel, an antique merry-go-round horses of 1922 donated by Jane and David Walentas.
The attraction, which has been restored from top to bottom, is set in a spectacular glass pavilion designed by world-renowned French architect Jean Nouvel – Pritzker prize winner.
- Where: 45 Main Street, 12th Floor, Brooklyn, NY 11201.
- When: in winter period – from September 16, 2019 to may 10, 2010 – the Jane’s Carousel is open from Thursday to Sunday from 11 to 18.
- The cost of the ticket: 2$. For tickets or multiple discounts school visit the website.
4 – Little Italy for the feast of San Gennaro
Ok, probably the name of San Gennaro has little to do with New York. But you would have never imagined that one of the greatest festivals in honor of the patron saint of Naples , which loosens the blood took place among the streets of the Big Apple?
In Little Italy, in the famous Italian neighborhood of New York, every year the celebrations of San Gennaro attracts more than 1 million people from every part of the world. Between parades, stand culinary cannoli, torrone and local delicacies, you can watch the famous procession of the statue.
- Where: Mulberry Street, Manhattan, NY 10013
- When: from September 12 to September 22, 2019
5 – Among the glowing pumpkins at The Great Jack O Lantern Blaze
If the winter has its carnival, the most famous festival in the autumn is of course Halloween. And which symbol is more iconic of the pumpkin-lit? “Jack o Lantern”, as it is called the typical carved pumpkin in hand, has its roots in an ancient irish legend of the’800 , which tells of a blacksmith, the drunken – Jack – who managed to cheat the Devil. Which is revenge, then, upon the death of the human, sending him back from Hell with a torch in hand. Jack used his “lantern” to regain the road, and since then it remained the symbol of wandering souls. Today the torch, which Jack had kept under a turnip, has been replaced by the pumpkin, as the irish who moved to America, they found turnips enough.
View this post on Instagram
You love this kind of atmosphere? So you cannot miss The Great Jack O Lantern Blaze. Get ready to see an army of more than 7 thousand pumpkins, sparkling, between the show, the star of the Pumking Planetarium, amusement rides, horses, mills, steam trains and a Statue of Liberty high about 8 meters, all made entirely of glowing pumpkins.
Watch the trailer for the official to give you an idea.
- Where: Van Cortlandt Manor 525 S Riverside, Croton-on-Hudson, NY 10520
- When: Here are all the dates of the show: September 20 to 22 and from 26 to 29; from 3 to October 31; November 1 to 3, from 8 to 10, from 15 to 17, from 22 to 23 and 29 to 30.
- Tickets: adults from 23$, children aged 3 to 17 years from 17$, children under 3 free.
- Information: for more information on the website dedicated to the event.
6 – Open House New York: the weekend of architecture
This is one of the events of architecture and design in the most captive of America. TheOpen House, the weekend of “open houses” in new york, is a unique opportunity to visit the spaces of the Big Apple normally closed to the public.
Between bedrooms, terraces, basements, houses with charm – covering 5 districts of the city and different historical eras – you will be accompanied by architects and designers who will reveal any curiosity on the architectures most extraordinary of New York.
- When: 18-20 October 2019.
- Useful information: website
7 – New York Marathon
Most of the 40,000 marathoners around the 5 districts of the city, for a total of 42.195 meters of the race. New York is undoubtedly one of the marathons famous all over the world. An autumn event that attracts every year millions of people reaching the Big Apple with the dream to compete or simply attend the event.
View this post on Instagram
#DidYouKnow that if Manhattan had the population density of Alaska, only 23 people would live on the Island? That’s only 2.5 residents cheering at each mile in Manhattan during the #TCSNYCMarathon… thankfully, instead, thousands of spectators line the streets to support those running through the borough they call home. Manhattan is also home to 174 #RisingNYRR sites, 2 #NYRROpenRuns, 51 @NYRR races, and 10 #NYRRStriders sites. Swipe to check out everything NYRR is doing for Manhattan and the 1.63 million people living in this borough.
If you are lovers of the race you could consider the idea to register for the other the next. If, instead, you are only interested in attend, one of the best spots is Central Park South near the finish line.
- When: November 3, 2019.
- Useful information: to get to know all the details, please see the official website.
8 – Village Halloween Party
Take a neighborhood famous all over the world such as Greenwich Village, the style of the parades made in New York city and feel the atmosphere of Halloween and you will understand why this is the celebration most loved by new york.
The Village Halloween Parade, now in its 46th edition, is the Halloween parade par excellence. Get ready to pull off to the side of the bands in the festival, modern, Frankenstein, skeletons, dancers, and many performance artists that will animate the streets of Greenwich with a dark atmosphere and colorful at the same time.
- Where: 6th Avenue North from Spring Street to 16th Street.
- When: 31 October 2019 from 19 to 22.
- Useful information: the event is free, but you need to be dressed up in the mask. For detailed information, or if you intend to participate as a volunteer, please consult the official website.
9 – Macy’s Thanksgiving Parade
What recurrence most typically the USA, if not the Day of Thanksgiving? And the Macy’s Thanksgiving Parade is one of the most important events. Launched in 1924 by the eponymous chain, is among the celebrations the most important – second only to the parade in Detroit. But forget, for a moment, the turkeys stuffed and families intent on watching the football game: the parade of Macy’s has an atmosphere more festive than ever.
Between marching bands, performances and the clown get ready to walk next to your favorite characters of the cartoon, in the shape of a baloon giants that float up into the sky, parading through the streets of Manhattan, from the Upper East Side to Midtown.
Among the absolute novelties of this year there is a Snoopy astronaut , celebrating the 50° anniversary of the man on the Moon and promotes Snoopy in Space, the new animated series dedicated to the world of the Peanuts produced by the Apple Tv.
- Where: the parade starts from the 77th Street and Central Park West, and continues to 34th Street to Macy’s Herald Square.
- When: Thursday, November 28.
- Useful information: for more information, see the website of Macy’s.
10 – kayaking on the Hudson
New York view from the water? Enjoy the Big Apple and the spectacle of the autumn colours away from the chaos of its streets can be a really striking experience. But forget the boats and organized tours.